KZ-5 was the second in a development series of the three “Plastic Fantastics” (KZ-3, KZ-5, KZ-7) built by McMullen & Wing for the 1987 New Zealand Americas Cup Challenge in Perth, Western Australia. Well maintained and stored professionally, she was chartered by a Swedish Syndicate for the 2019 World Championships in Newport and claimed first place in the Grand Prix Division.
Legacy (KZ-5): 2019 World Champion
|Model||Int’l 12 Metre Class||Designer||Davidson / Farr/ Holland|
|Builder||McMullen & Wing, NZ||Year||1985; Major refit: 2004|
|LOA||65′ (19.8 m.)||LWL||49′ (14.9 m.)|
|Beam||13′ (4.0 m.)||Draft||9′ (2.7 m.)|
|Displacement||60,000 lbs. (27,216 kg.)||Ballast||39,000 lbs. (17,690 kg.)|
KZ-5 was the second in a development series of the three “Plastic Fantastics” (KZ-3, KZ-5, KZ-7) built by McMullen & Wing for the 1987 New Zealand Americas Cup Challenge in Perth, Western Australia.
GRP was chosen due to limited flexing in the hull and shroud attachments. The long-term bonus being the lack of inherent corrosion and deterioration of hulls fabricated in aluminum.
While failing to challenge for the Americas Cup, KZ-5 was second to KZ-7 in the Twelve Metre World Championship in 1986. In 1992 she was sold to a Japanese Syndicate and sailed under the Nippon Yacht Club. Charlie Robertson of New York brought her to the USA renamed her Cannonball then sold her to Paul Campbell who sailed her as Fury. She was purchased by Edgar Cato in 2000 and campaigned as Hissar.
A moderate refit was carried out to compete in the 2001 Jubilee in Cowes and a the follow up 12mR series in Europe. Returning to the US she underwent design changes with the addition of a new mast, keel, rudder and trim tab. KZ-3 owned at the time by Roger Wright, was optimized with similar design changes and they competed together against KZ-7 which had recently been purchased by Bill Koch.
Sold in 2011, KZ-5 was campaigned sparingly in Newport then donated to the US Merchant Marine Academy Sailing Foundation in 2018. Well maintained and stored professionally, she was chartered by a Swedish Syndicate for the 2019 World Championships in Newport.
KZ-5 is in excellent condition having been in storage at Hinckley Yacht Services currently alongside Courageous (US-26) and Defender (US-33). Scroll down for Equipment Inventory (below photos.)
- Harken turning blocks
- Lewmar winches; #58 ST x 2; #50 ST x 2; #48 ST x 1; #77 runner winches x 2
- Lewmar carbon fiber pedestals turning two carbon fiber primary drums
- Lewman carbon fiber pedestal turning carbon fiber mainsheet drum
- Spinlock clutches and jammers
- Carbon Fiber helm and pedestals built by NEB
- 12-volt DC
- Two sealed lead acid batteries secured in battery box
- Portable battery charger
- Separate battery bank for bilge pump operation
- All banks securely fused
- Blue Seas electrical breaker panel; circuits labeled
- Electronics and Navigational Equipment
- Garmin 2006C
- Ockham Matrix between steering stations
- Ockham Matrix port and starboard
- Ockham displays at primary trimmer stations
- Ockham displays x 5 at mast
- Panasonic Toughbook CF 18 with remote screen running Expedition software
- Ockham T1 processor with T2 interface box
- B&G gravity switches
- Ockham rudder angle indicator
- E-Marine Electroncis system 2
- Ockham Multiplex Interface
- Ockham depth NEMA
- Ockham compass NEMA
- B&G load-cel amplifier
- Twin carbon wheels and pedestals driven by chain drive with Vectran cables to carbon fiber quadrant.
- Carbon fiber rudder stock with JP3 bearings
- Caarbon fiber rudder blade
- Fiberglass trim tab blade on bronze gudgeon, aluminum quadrant with chain and cable drive
- Safety and Fire Protection
- Standard USCG safety equipment including life jackets, horseshoe ring and horn.
- 2 x ABC fire extinguishers
- 2 x Whale bilge pumps manually operated from deck
- 2 x Rule 3700 submersible pumps in main bilge
- CQR 75 lb anchor with chain and line rode.
- Gretzky mast and carbon fiber boom; new in 2002
- Carbon fiber spinnaker poles x 2
- Tuff Luff headstay system
- Nitronix #50 rod standing rigging; new in 2002
- Elvstrom inventory new for 2019 World Championships
- Extensive North Sails inventory.
Disclamer: Specifications are provided for informational purposes only. Data was obtained from sources believed reliable but it not guaranteed by owners. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify.
*The International Twelve Metre Association neither endorses nor confirms specific listing details.