INTERNATIONAL TWELVE METRE ASSOCIATION
A Message from ITMA President, Paul Buttrose
6 August 2020
On behalf of the Officers and Staff of the International Twelve Metre Association, a sincere thank you to Regular, Associate and Subscriber members for your support during a challenging 2020.
Thank you to the twenty-four members who attended the Annual General Meeting held by video conference on July 22. In spite of the reduced sailing activity this year we have a positive outlook from the northern European Fleet and Americas Fleet where racing events albeit ‘down-sized’ have been scheduled for September. Both Fleets have welcomed new members to the roster this year; excellent news on both sides of the Atlantic.
An initiative to increase membership and participation in the Mediterranean has been welcomed by 12 Metre owners in the region. A proposal will be made to organizing authorities for several high-profile events in the Mediterranean to allow a separate start for 12 Metre yachts. As noted, we are actively searching for a vice President for Southern Europe to assist in that initiative and explore the possibility of holding a Mediterranean Championship and or World Championship in the future.
As the word ‘encourage’ is a theme through our Mission Statement and By-Laws may I enthusiastically encourage members to participate in the World Championships in Helsinki twelve months from now? Aside from the reported maximum participation from the Baltic Fleet it is our understanding several boats from the Mediterranean have made a commitment to attend. As of this writing one Division A boat has committed and she needs competition. The racing in Helsinki and renowned Finnish hospitality to be extended by Nylandska Jaktlubben will be well worth the effort.
Currently there are no proposals to make changes to the 12 Metre Rule or the By-Laws and Regulations. The Officers and in turn the Technical Committee comprising Ken McAlpine, Kay-Enno Brink and Wm. H. Dyer Jones have been asked to study the “intent and interpretation” of the ADCF. With the depth of experience on this Committee we are confident all issues raised by the Membership will be addressed in a professional manner.
In welcoming new members, I encourage you and existing members to read our By-Laws and Class Rule. In particular there are two By-Laws I feel underscore our mission.
2.2 To Cooperate with World Sailing and its Member national Authorities in promoting and preserving interest in the Class and participation therein.
2.7 To encourage the preservation of the history of the Twelve Metre Class and individual yachts built to the Twelve Metre Class Rule.
As my predecessor Dyer Jones reminded us during the Annual General Meeting held recently the 12 Metre Class is one of the largest International Class members of World Sailing. As a global organization ITMA is an accredited World Sailing Class and it is vitally important for us to maintain a strong voice within the Organization. Holding World Championships sanctioned by World Sailing in various countries is of enormous value to the Class and in turn to every 12 Metre world-wide.
Aside from our affiliation with World Sailing I would like to list a number of services provided and information made available to ITMA Members, much of which is facilitated through our website at: 12mRClass.com
- Connect 12mR owners to one another world-wide and to other 12mR resources
- ITMA Exec Comm coordinates interests and initiatives of Americas, N.Europe and S. Europe fleets
- Representation of our Class Members’ interests at World Sailing Conferences, Technical & Class Committees
- ITMA is the history-keeper of the 113-year old 12mR Class. Through our searchable 12mR database we maintain individual records for each 12mR yacht ever built.
- ITMA Members may submit suggested edits, updates and photos to be added to their 12’s record– documenting their guardianship– in ITMA’s historical archive of 12mR yachts
- Uphold & update the 12mR Class Rule & By-Laws when needed
- Executive and Technical Committees consider suggestions from Members re: possible Rule updates
- Executive Committee considers suggestions from Members re: possible By-Laws changes
- On-line 12mR Measurement Certificate Registry provides transparency throughout the fleet
- Promote and facilitate 12mR Class activities including World Championships
- Publish periodic news update at 12mR NEWS blog
In conclusion I offer a deep thanks to the Members, Officers, Staff and Committees for the continuing support of ITMA, a unique organization.