1908 – 1912: George Coats – name: Alachie – home port: Glasgow (Scotland).
Built according to the International First Rule and launched at the end of April in 1908, Alachie was the first yacht of the new class built on the Clyde. At the time, she was considered the most advanced boat built at Fairlie and the most complete specimen of steel framing built into a vessel of her size.
Like the more extreme racers, all the sheets were to be wrought from below so as to eliminate the necessity of anyone but the helmsman to be on deck during a race; she had not a vestige of bulwarks and the men were prevented from slipping overboard by an elm toerail fixed along the deck along the inner edge of the covering board; spars, boom and bowsprit were hollow. Just after the launch, she was beached for a complete alteration to remove and add to the keel, which was recast, eight hundred weight of lead which had been added as ballast after launching. Alachie was one of the leading Twelves in the 1908, 1909, 1910 and 1911 seasons. Of 137 entries she had 43 firsts and 54 placings; she competed without success at the English trials for the 1908 Olympic Games. In 1912, Alachie was not commissioned, as her owner George Coats focused on his new 15 Metre, The Lady Anne.
1909 season: she was third with a total of 29 entries, 7 firsts, 9 seconds and 3 thirds.
1910 season: she was third with 37 entries, 12 firsts, 13 seconds and 4 thirds.
1911 season: she was first with a total entries of 41, 13 firsts, 14 seconds and 4 thirds.
In 1911 she took part in the first Europe Week at Cowes together with Cintra, Javotte, Ierne and Rollo; she was third in the first race and fifth in the second as she went ashore
1914 – 1915: Jos. Antonio Aguirre – home port: Buenos Aires- together with Mouchette and Rafaga, she is one of the three Twelves transferred to Argentina.
1916 – 1918: Unknown
1919 – 1931: Antonio Leon Lanuss?
1925: Listed in Lloyd’s Register as “formerly International Rating Class 12 Metre”
1927: In a dated photo Alachie is shown with a gaff-rig racing against Rafaga.
1932: she disappeared from the Lloyd’s Register.
1980s: Broken up in the Tigre?
|International Rule||FIRST Rule|
|Designer||William Fife III|
|Builder||W. Fife & Son|
|First Owner||George Coats|
|First Country||Great Britain (GB)|
|Original Homeport||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Length Overall||15.70 m.|
|Length Waterline||11.91 m.|
|Sail Area||250.00 sq. m.|